**JANUARY 2016 UPDATE**
I’m updating this recipe upon making it a second time. It was too spicy for us last fall, so when I made it tonight, I changed some of the seasoning amounts. See below:
1/4 tsp coarse ground pepper
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
It was so much better!!! LOVED IT!
It’s fall and that means it’s crock-pot season. I’m pumped about Mondays being my crock-pot day. Monday Night Football and a date with the crock – sounds perfect to me for the next few months!!
Our first recipe we’re going to make I found on a great clean eating blog written by a couple (you can check their blog out here). I love searching for new recipes and certainly don’t want to take credit since I am no nutrition expert, but I did make the directions a little easier to follow.
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
1 small yellow onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes with juice
1 15oz can low sodium black beans
2 cups sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
1 lb ground turkey, cooked
3/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp coarse ground pepper
2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1.5 cups water
- Add onion, garlic, tomatoes, black beans, and sweet potatoes to crock-pot. Stir.
- Add ground turkey, seasonings, water. Stir.
- Place lid on crock-pot and cook on low for 8 hours (or if pressed for time, cook on high for 4 hours).
- Carefully remove lid and stir chili. Adjust seasonings to taste if necessary.
- Replace lid, cook for an additional 20-30 minutes on low.
- Serve with your favorite side salad!